Did you miss me?
Hi everyone! Sorry that my page hasn’t been up for the last 25 days. I’ve been ignoring those “you need to renew your domain or else it will expire” emails. Whoops.
Yeah, I’m here. I’ve been really busy with Mom-Wife-Life. Here’s what you missed:
- We adopted our “son,” Jakob back in September 2016
- In June, I got in a car accident, and my back and my neck hasn’t been the same since. I’ve been going to physical therapy and haven’t been able to run more than 10 miles at a time. 😦
- Our first-born daughter, Josie, joined the Lord in Heaven this past September.
- Despite my injuries, I am still running and raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, but not running Dopey. Going for a PR in the full marathon, which also happens to be my 40th birthday!
The kids are growing up… too fast.
And I’m on the ketogenic diet for my migraines. It has been a big change and so far it’s worked. The only things that trigger my sensory auras are strong changes in the atmosphere, or when the weather can’t make up its mind. Yesterday was terrible. It was very humid and the skies looked imposing but they never opened up. This “in-between” weather makes my ears hurt and my right arm tingle. I also can’t focus and I get confused, like when one is really tired. Do you know what I mean? My head still doesn’t pound though. My diet has kept that at bay. Thank God.
So… what do I eat, you ask? Here’s what I have been eating:
- eggs, cooked any which way, and sometimes with salsa!
- cheese burgers without the bun
- chicken wings
- buffalo chicken sandwiches without the bun
- cheese – cottage cheese, goat cheese, fancy cheese
- Merlot, Malbec, or Cabernet Savignon
- any clear alcohol (during Jaguars football)
- Quest & coffee “milkshakes”
- Cafe Americano with heavy cream and sugar-free flavoring
- Machiatto with heavy cream instead of milk
- plain cheesecake
- peanut butter
- canned or a pouch of tuna
- canned salmon
- sardines, herring, anchovies (great with spinach, olive oil, and mayo)
- pork rinds, and anything that has NO or LOW CARBS
I try to keep my daily net carbohydrates to 20g to stay in ketosis.
I want to stress that I’m not skinny. I’ve actually GAINED a few pounds from muscle mass, but I fit in my skinny clothes still. It’s pretty cool.
Things I’ve noticed since I’ve hit KETOSIS:
- I’ve gained weight, but look good.
- I don’t get acne during that time of the month anymore (and it’s shorter!)
- I breathe harder when I run
- I can go long durations without hunger pains
- I have loads of energy, even after long runs or no sleep
- I need to take magnesium everyday to stay “regular”
- If I cheat, I pay for it with water gain and a pounding migraine the next day
I’ve been really good, too. If I do cheat, I fast for 8 hours, then break fast with some good protein.
My husband joined my on my diet because it was easier to buy and eat the same stuff. He’s lost a lot of weight and I’m very proud of him. He’s also grown his hair SOOOOO LOOONNNNGGG! 🙂
That’s about it for now. Gotta get back to work. I’ll post more running stuff on my next post. Ta ta for now and happy running!